6.06.2006

Foreign Relations in the Land of Joe

I had my first delightful cultural learning experience today at work. A Mexican guy showed up to his appointment today drunk(we could smell him). I went out to the waiting area to put out some more pens and I walked by him and he looked at me and said "Pendejo," with a huge grin on his face. I smile and nod and think to myself, "wow, that must be a really fancy way to say gracias. maybe it means thank you A LOT." So, I go in and ask one of the spanish speakers on our team what it means, he says, "well, it means stupid, but, like, REALLY stupid......like stupid times ten. It's very derogatory, why do you ask?" "Oh, no reason," I nonchalantly respond. So then I look it up online when I get home in the urban dictionary(I am SUCH a white-boy). Here's what they had to say:

Pendejo
-
Pendejo is a single pubic hair. In Mexico´s slang it is used as an insult like idiot or fool, but in Peru´s slang it used to describe a smart guy with few or no scruples.

I think I was happier being "stupid times ten" than being a single pubic hair..........man, I have a lot to learn at this job......I'll be ready for you next time drunk dude!!!!

2 comments:

Lara said...

Hahahahaha, you single pubic hair! I can't believe there's even a word for that. Other than, you know, "single pubic hair."

Big Daddy said...

I always thought pendejo meant 'a-hole'. Oh well, live and learn.